Yesterday, I was watching the Super Bowl with my husband when he said “We need some finger foods. We usually have snacks during the Super Bowl.” I racked my brain for something that would be quick to make. I wanted to make something that we already had all of the ingredients for so I didn’t have to go to the store. It took a minute, but then it came to me. A cheeseball.
I went to the kitchen and grabbed my family cookbook. I could look up the recipe – butter, cream cheese, black olives, and green onions. Seemed simple enough. And then I remembered there was some leftover bacon in the fridge from breakfast. Everything is better with bacon right?
Before you start mixing anything, make sure that your butter and cream cheese are room temperature. To do this, I usually leave the butter out on the counter. For the cream cheese, I put in it the microwave using the softening function.
Once they are softened, cream together butter and cream cheese in a bowl using a stand mixer or hand mixer.
Stir in olives, bacon, and green onions with a spatula until well incorporated.
Scoop the mixture onto a sheet of wax or parchment paper. Roll into one large ball or two small balls. Usually, I will do the one large ball.
Roll the ball(s) in the chopped walnuts until completely covered, if desired. You can skip this step if you just aren’t a fan of nuts, or have an allergy. This is also were having two smaller cheese-balls comes in handy, because you can roll one in the chopped walnuts and leave the other plain. I skipped this step this time because we were out of walnuts.
Place on plate(s) and chill in the refrigerator until set.
Serve with your favorite crackers. I usually use wheat thins because they are sturdy and won’t crack when I’m trying to scoop up some cheeseball.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 8 ounce package of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup cooked chopped bacon
- 3 to 4 green onions, chopped
- chopped walnuts (optional)
- Mix together butter and cream cheese in a bowl using a stand mixer or hand mixer until incorporated.
- Stir in olives, bacon, and green onions with a spatula until evenly mixed.
- Scoop the mixture onto a sheet of wax or parchment paper and roll into one or two balls.
- Roll the ball(s) in the chopped walnuts until completely covered.
- Place on plate(s) and chill in the refrigerator until set.
- Serve with your favorite crackers.